Those fidget toys are proving more than just distracting - some have LEDs powered by button batteries and they're so dangerous that the ACCC is recalling them. See the story here. If you have one of these 'Ace of Hearts' fidget spinners - please keep it out of reach of kids and return it and get a refund.
This highlights once again the danger that unsecured button batteries can pose. We're not being dramatic - if swallowed by small children, they can kill.
Button batteries (also known as disc or coin batteries) appear harmless, but if swallowed by children, can silently kill.
Each week in Australia, 20 kids present to emergency departments for a button battery related incident.
Sadly, two young girls recently lost their lives as a result of button battery injuries.
Currently, only toys designed for children under 3 years of age are required by law to have secured battery compartments. This means that many everyday household items - including car keys, baby thermometers and remotes - that contain button batteries have no mandatory safety standards.
That’s why we’re calling on the government to act and introduce mandatory safety standards covering all items containing button batteries, including that:
Join our call. We want the next Minister responsible for consumer affairs to act quickly and introduce a mandatory safety standard. The risk is just too great - it’s time to make button batteries child-proof.