Urgent, please call Education Minister Dan Tehan Today!
We’ve heard the Education Minister is going to announce a snap-back to the old childcare model on Friday 5th of June.
He needs to hear from us urgently; a snap-back will be disastrous for families, educators and children.
Can you please help call him now:
Electorate Office 03 5572 1100 OR Canberra Office 02 6277 7350
The best thing you can do is explain you're a parent and you're concerned about a snap back to the old system, then ask him (or ask his staff to pass on the message) to rethink a snap back and imagine something better.
Here are some further talking points - feel free to say you've seen these stats from the Parenthood:
- The old model will not work in a post-COVID economy.
- Returning to full-fees will undermine the ECEC sector, the labour market and risk between 270,000-400,000 children losing access to early education and the quantifiable benefits that flow from it.
- A national survey of 2,200 families using ECEC indicates that in 42% of families at least one parent has lost a job or is earning less as a result of COVID19, with 16% of respondents reporting both parents have seen income reduced. A third of parents (34%) report they will need to reduce days or remove their children altogether if out-of-pocket fees return.
- ECEC services are currently operating at 63% occupancy which is well below break-even point. Returning to fees risks a further 20-30% of children being withdrawn making mass closures and job losses inevitable.
- The current crisis requires the Federal Government to redesign the way ECEC is funded and delivered.
- Investing in ECEC is investing in Australia’s future. For every $1 spent on ECEC $2 of benefits flow according to a 2019 PWC report.
- Reforming ECEC will boost Australia’s GDP through increased female workforce participation.
Instead of snapping back the government needs to continue with the rescue package with two key changes:
- Increase the percentage of capped fees being paid to services
- Ensure all ECEC educators and staff are eligible for JobKeeper.
Leave a comment on our facebook page to let us know how you go! Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/TheParenthoodProject/posts/2550703778479204