We are a community working together to make Australia the best place in the world to be a parent. Because when parents are supported, children can thrive & our whole community is stronger.
The Parenthood is an inclusive movement of parents and carers.
We launched in 2013 with the ambition of creating a movement of Australian parents working together to create a better world for our children. With the support of long-term partners & collaborators we've built a community of over 68,000 mums, dads & carers. We come from every state and territory across Australia, we are not-for-profit and independent.
The Parenthood is led by an Executive Director Georgie Dent and supported by a campaign manager, key partners and a working board of directors with extensive experience in digital campaigning, strategic communications, movement building and the big issues facing today's children.
What We Do
We ensure the voices of mums, dads, grandparents and carers are represented in the national discourse to influence decision-makers to gain positive policy changes. Parents are major stakeholders in the future of Australia, but lack a powerful collective voice. A parent voice that is well-organised and resourced, remains one of the strongest and most effective means to influence federal, state and local government policy.
We’ve secured a seat at the table to have a say on key debates - in the media and political forums – and empowered our members to use their voice on issues central to families across the country. As a result The Parenthood is positioned as a key influencer and driver in achieving positive outcomes for Australian parents and their children.
There are key issues that affect Australian parents and carers at major pressure points early on in a child’s life, which can prevent them from having a positive parenting experience. Our vision is to help the community dismantle the barriers that make parenting more difficult than it needs to be.
We focus our efforts on supporting parents and carers to advocate together to affect change in three key policy areas to alleviate these key pressure points:
- Adequate and equitable paid parental leave.
- Universal access to high quality early childhood education & care delivered by a professionally paid and qualified workforce.
- Family-friendly workplaces that offer flexibility and a culture that values parenting among men and women.
How we work
- We engage, working directly with parents, carers, grandparents and stakeholders to provide opportunities to play a part in the public debate and decisions that affect the lives of parents and children.
- We inform, through research and advocacy, about the key barriers for parents and carers in Australia and identify progressive, evidence-based, equitable policies that will promote the wellbeing of families.
- We mobilise by inspiring and supporting parents and carers to become advocates for positive reform on critical issues relating to families.
The Parenthood receives financial, in-kind and campaign support from the following organisations: